Monday, November 19, 2012

Maybe I am just an old man

So I'm currently in my mid twenties, closer to the thirty side. I've always had this thing about showing a good work ethic. Going in on time, never calling off, staying my entire shift, and getting all of my work duties done. All of these things, help set up the people before and after me. For instance, if I come into work on time, the person who is relieved by me can leave on time, or as close to on time as possible. And if I get all of the things I am supposed to get done out of the way, the next person doesn't have to worry about doing my stuff on top of theirs.

While I am not old by any stretch of the imagination, I feel like work ethic in the types of jobs I have carried, just in the past 10 years (which is about how long I've been working, give a year or so) has seriously declined. As if people don't have anything to work for anymore, or anything to show for their work. I don't want to say this is generational either, because age-wise, its across the board. I wonder if its perhaps the lack of pay for more work? Or the mistreatment in these types of jobs. Or maybe its the bad hours? I very much try and keep the same standards in which I work. So it gets under my skin when its hard to find co-workers who almost have a sense of entitlement and a "screw that" kind of attitude.

 I work with people in all types of situations and I can tell you which ones need the job versus the ones who just have the job because they want a few extra bucks in their pockets, or were board and wanted to work. (I feel like I can safely make these assumptions based on conversations I've had with individuals)... While I feel like I am pigeon holding certain people into these categories, its hard not to. I guess I just look forward to working for myself some day. Or at least working as hard as I do now, for better pay. Because I can not say enough about how I think labor jobs are under paid. Minimum wage is a joke.

When I say that I don't think its fair that some of the hardest working jobs only pay bare bones and its not enough, people with college educations tend to be on the defense with this "well, they didn't go to college for four years to work their but off and pay thousands of dollars..." etc etc etc.. and I get that, but at the same time, some working class people can't afford to go to college.

I guess these are some short thoughts on working. I'm tired.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter